Over the years, the Birkman reputation has been built through a greater commitment to science and validity than marketing and hype. We strive to develop only the most scientifically sound assessments and services.
We define the soundness of our assessments through:
- Multiple types of reliability and validity criteria
- Development based on data from workplace-specific and other representative samples
- Strong theoretical basis from the organizational psychology field as well as cross-discipline literature (e.g., educational psychology, management, social psychology)
- Empirically demonstrated model-data fit (e.g., structural equation modeling)
- Job-specific, EEOC compliant selection profiles based on performance criteria (e.g., work satisfaction, tenure, performance reviews)
“Positive Psychology” has become a popular term of late in “pop” psychology. Positive Psychology is the scientific study of the strengths and virtues that enable individuals and communities to thrive.
Positive psychology’s goal is to help people live and flourish rather than merely exist, and is a “view within scientific psychology that aims to achieve a balanced and empirically grounded body of research on human nature and social relations” (Keyes & Haidt, 2003, p. 3).
While in its adolescence as a psychological discipline, Positive Psychology continues to gain merit and has much promise. It is based in humanistic psychology and has become a successful movement over the last 25 years.
In 1951, Roger Birkman started down a proactive, positive path with the development of his assessment, The Birkman Method®, as a true humanistic psychological assessment.
Continuing Roger’s legacy, we have continued down this same path in our research and development.
Based on particular attributes, we focus our research on topics that are important to today’s worker. We find that the most relevant workplace research findings have the following attributes:
- A scientist-practitioner model
- Varied sources (e.g., test publisher, industry, academia)
It is our belief that through a commitment to best scientific practices and a focus on realistic applications, The Birkman Method reports can be maximized in their usefulness, bringing the greatest insights and progressive changes to individuals and organizations alike.